Monday, June 19, 2006

June 18th was a very sad day for the resort development business and for all the friends of Dave Ellsworth, who had a massive heart attack in Palm Springs and passed away.

What a guy!

I first met Dave as board members of American Resort in the early 80s. He was a top flight lawyer in LA with a specialty in Mexico about, well, 15 years ahead of his time. But, he helped to build the Mexican resort industry through his legal work, later his financing work and development and marketing skills.

Dave's home was perched atop 999 Green Street on San Francisco's Russian Hill. He moved in and I out, ,just half a block away. We stayed in contact, off and on, over the years until three years ago, when he gave me the gift of my business life by sponsoring me into ULI [Urban Land Institute] and onto one of their Recreational Development Councils.

We talked last Monday, the 12th about a deal in Montana. As usual Dave's vision was broad and vivid, his facts sound and he was in the 'do' mode.

His son, Brett, and son in law, Kevin Roberts, are both top flight businessmen, and I know they will be successful in carrying forth Dave's life work.

No comments: